Pesto, it’s the Best-o! Plus 10 Creative Recipes
Pesto: A Staple for Your Kitchen
Pesto is delicious and satisfyingly healthy. It is a multi-purpose staple that deserves a place in everyone’s kitchen. When you see pesto at the grocery store, you might gasp at the ridiculously expensive price tag on a very small jar of the stuff.
I am here to tell you that pesto, when made from home, is easy AND cheap to make!
Pesto has many uses in the kitchen, including:
- Pasta: use pesto in place of marinara sauce
- Pizza: instead of BBQ sauce or tomato sauce, use pesto
- Chicken: pesto-covered chicken is delicious
- Hamburgers: instead of mustard and ketchup, add pesto to your buns
- Veggie Dip: dip your veggies into pesto as a simple appetizer or snack
- Sauce for Veggies: this creates a bold sauce to cover your potatoes, broccoli, etc.
- Fish: looking for a new way to eat fish? Top it with pesto
- Sandwiches: make a creative sandwich with pesto instead of normal condiments
- Salad: pesto would make an excellent salad dressing
How do YOU use Pesto? Please feel free to include recipes in the comment section below!
Pesto: A Simple Recipe
The great thing about Pesto is that you can switch most of the ingredients to anything you have around the home.
Another great thing about Pesto is that most of the ingredients are common ones that you already have in your kitchen.
Here is a Simple Pesto Recipe:
*3/4 cup olive oil (like this)
*3 cups of fresh basil (can include some stems…I just cut of the top third of each basil plant and put it right in the food processor)
*1/2 cup of good quality Parmesan, grated (like this)
*4 garlic cloves
*1/4 cup (2 oz.) pine nuts (like these)
*1-3 tsp. lemon juice
1) Place all of the ingredients in a food processor. Blend to perfection. Taste and add additional items if necessary. Enjoy!
See? Pesto is easy to make and most of those ingredients are probably already in your home. You can make a big batch and freeze some, either in ice cube trays or glass freeze-safe jars for future use.
10 Creative Pesto Recipes
Now that you know the simple, typical Pesto Recipe, you can start exploring new options and tastes with it. Pesto is one of the funnest staples to use, because you can use whatever greens, nuts, spices, etc. that you have on hand from your garden or the store.
If you want some inspiration, check out these 10 Creative Pesto Recipes:
I hope I have inspired you to make your own pesto. Be Creative!