Warning: Most of the medicinal herbs have warnings attached, especially for pregnant women or people with major health issues. When in doubt, please consult your doctor or a local herbalist before using these herbs for medicinal purposes.
As time goes on, I will be adding more books to this list.
It is important that no one thinks that I am plagiarizing the material in this blog. I did not “discover” this information on my own, but rather, I have gathered data from multiple books and blogs and have put it all together in an organized manner. My thanks goes to all of the authors/companies whose information I have used.
If you think I took information from a site/source that is not mentioned here, please let me know and I will add it as quickly as I can.
1) Lesley Bremness, The Complete Book of Herbs: A practical guide to growing and using herbs (Viking Studio Books: 1994)
2) Tammi Hartung, Growing 101 Herbs That Heal: gardening techniques, recipes, and remedies (Storey Publishing: 2000)
3) Judith Benn Hurley, The Good Herb: recipes and remedies from nature (New York: William Morrow and Company, Inc., 1995)
4) Rosemary Gladstar, Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health: 175 Teas, Tonics, Oils, Salves, Tinctures, and Other Natural Remedies for the Entire Family (Storey Publishing: 2008)
5) Jekka McVicar, The Complete Herb Book (Firefly Books: 2008)
6) Jane Newdick, At Home with Herbs: Inspiring Ideas for Cooking, Crafts, Decorating, and Cosmetics (Storey Publishing, 1995)
7) Reader’s Digest, The Complete Illustrated Book of Herbs: Growing, Health and Beauty, Cooking, Crafts (Reader’s Digest Inc.: 2009)
8) Jerry Traunfield, The Herbfarm Cookbook (New York: Scribner, 2000)
9) Barbara L. Bowling, The Berry Grower’s Companion (Oregon: Timber Press, 2000)
10) Alan Buckingham and Jo Whittingham, Grow Vegetables: Gardens, Yards, Balconies, Roof Terraces (New York: DK Publishing, 2008)
11) Karen Liebreich, Jutta Wagner, Annette Wendland, The Family Kitchen Garden: How to Plant, Grow, and Cook Together (Oregon: Timber Press, 2009)
12) Walter Reeves and Felder Rushing, Guide to South Carolina Vegetable Gardening (Tennessee: Cool Springs Press, 2007)
13) Bob Polomski, Gardening in the Carolinas (Tennessee: Cool Spings Press, 2000)
14) Carleen Madigan, ed . The Backyard Homestead (Storey Publishing LLC, 2009)
15) Stewart Kenyon, Hydroponics for the Home Gardener (Key Porter Books, 1992)
16) Jerome D. Belanger, The Homesteader’s Handbook to Raising Small Livestock (Pennsylvania: Rodale Press Inc., 1974)
17) Bharat B. Aggarwal, PhD with Debora Yost, HEALING Spices How to Use 50 Everyday and Exotic Spices to Boost Health and Beat Disease (London: Sterling Publishing, 2011)
18) Editors: Villupanoor A. Parthasarathy Indian Institute of Spices Research Calicut, Kerala, India Bhageerathy Chempakam Indian Institute of Spices Research Calicut, Kerala, India and T. John Zachariah Indian Institute of Spices Research Calicut, Kerala, India. Chemistry of Spices
19) James A. Duke with Mary Jo Bogenschutz-Godwin and Judi duCellier, CRC Handbook of Medicinal Spices (CRC PRESS: Boca Raton, New York 2002)
20) Simone McGrath, Healing with Herbs and Spices, (an E book)
21) K.V. Peter, ed. Handbook of herbs and spices, (CRC Press LLC, 2000)