I love mushrooms AND my tarragon is ready to use. I am sure that I will be making this recipe soon…
Tarragon stuffed mushrooms
*1 pound large mushrooms
*3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*1 small onion, chopped very finely
*2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh tarragon
*salt and pepper
*1.5 cups dry breadcrumbs
*oil for frying
1) Wipe the mushrooms clean. Carefully remove the stalks without damaging the caps. Finely chop the stalks and set aside.
2) Place the fresh breadcrumbs in a bowl and add the garlic. Stir in the onion, tarragon, 1 egg, seasonings, and chopped mushroom stalks. Mix very well to form a soft stuffing.
3) Divide the mixture between the hollows of the mushroom caps, pressing it in well.
4) Beat the remaining egg in a dish and dip each stuff mushroom in it.
5) Place the dry breadcrumbs in a dish and dip the egg-coated mushrooms into them, ensuring that they are evenly coated.
6) Heat about 4 cups of oil in a heavy pan. Deep-fry the mushrooms for 4 minutes in about 4 batches. Drain on paper towel. Serve immediately, possibly with an herbed mayonnaise. Enjoy!
This recipe was found in: Lesley Bremness, The Complete Book of Herbs, pg. 177.